Tuesday, September 21, 2010 | By: Jo

Intro

Hey World,

I haven't had the chance to properly introduce myself and give a little bit of bio so here goes....

My name is Journey, I'm 34 years old and I have Cancer.
Phewwww now that i got that off my chest lol. My sister summer encouraged me to use this as a way to tell my story, to let out my inner feelings, to leave something behind if ever the outcome were grim. She thinks i have a talent....and i think.....that sisters will always believe in you no matter how horrible of a singer, or dancer or whatever the case may be, they will still believe in you.

I was born on the Island of Honolulu Hawaii on February 24th 1976. Born to two wonderful slightly hippie'ish parents, William & Seila (pronounced "Sayla") Toala. I was given the name Journey due to my moms many many travels during the course of her pregnancy with me.  It turned out to be quite the fitting name, cus when i was born, i was born very ill and my parents were told I wouldn't live passed the age of 3. Fast forward 31 years later and I'm back right where i started, fighting for my life again.

Soon after my birth my parents moved to the Island of Samoa so that my grandparents could help care for me while my father was always traveling due to his job and my mother was a teacher. But as the first year and 2nd year passed on my health continued to diminish until finally the doctors told my parents they either had to prepare for my death or seek medical help where i can be better treated and diagnosed.  My father had a sister who lived in America so he gave her a call and told her what was going on. She told him to bring his family there and they can try to get the help I needed. My father left New Zealand (where he was working at the time) went to Samoa, packed up his wife and children and moved us all to America. Soon after our arrival I was admitted into the first proper hospital I'd ever been in and several weeks after that, I slipped into a coma.

My father wasn't there for my birth, but he has told me this story many many many times over the course of my life and I smile every time he tells me of the day I awoke. It's too long to go into but he calls that day, the day I was born,  the day I came to life and he was there....just me and him in that small hospital room.  I was never that sick again...until now.

My dad....he was my hero. He is why i am who i am today. He guided me and raised me with love and respect for all things and all people.  When angry he only spoke with firm words but never lifted his hand against me. He taught about life and the choices we make, the consequences we have to accept and that above all else we are the only ones in control of our Destiny.  My mother on the other hand was quite the opposite.  And maybe I'll tell you all about that, another time :).

So I pretty much grew up in California. I was such a tomboy. I played marble with the boys, raced other boys on bikes and skateboards, i was always dirty lol, never combed my hair haha when my dad came home from work everyday I'd go running up to his car as he pulled in and i'd ask for a dollar and then all the neighborhood kids would walk down to the candy store and buy whatever we could and back then you could get alot for a dollar!!!  Being a tomboy though had its downsides for me. I was picked on alot and beat up alot. As i grew up and grew into my awkward tween and teen years, my life became miserable. I was the class outcast, made fun of for the clothes i wore, the way i looked etc. etc. Kids can be mean.  When i turned 13  my parents made the decision to move to Salt Lake City, Utah. And this is where my life changed forever. Utah will always be my forever home.

And i think I'll end on that note. until next time.....

Journey

"Live your life today, to have no regrets tomorrow"

0 comments:

Post a Comment